Soil Testing and Plant Diagnostic Services
Soil and Plant Testing Laboratory
The Soil and Plant Testing Laboratory analyzes soil, plant, water, manure, compost and greenhouse media. The fee-based services are available to farmers, homeowners, horticulturists, golf course managers, consultants, researchers and government agencies. The laboratory provides quality testing and unbiased, research-based recommendations to clients for economically viable and environmentally safe nutrient management practices.
The laboratory analyzes about 25,000 to 35,000 field crop (farm) soil samples, 5,000 to 7,000 horticultural crop (lawn and garden) soil samples and 1,000 commercial fruits, vegetables and turf soil samples each year. Soil test reports for samples processed through the laboratory are available online. The test reports can be accessed with a password. Reports are also delivered via U.S. mail and email to regional specialists and clients by request. The regional specialists review reports and make additional comments if needed and mail to the clients.
A properly collected soil sample results in appropriate recommended rates of fertilizer and limestone.
Relevant MU Extension publications
- EQ215, Laboratory Analysis of Manure
- EQ453, Precision Agriculture: Remote Sensing and Ground Truthing
- G4620, Bermudagrass
- G9112, Interpreting Missouri Soil Test Reports
- G9215, Soil Sampling Pastures
- G9217, Soil Sampling Hayfields
and Row Crops
- G6954, Soil Testing for Lawns
- G9177, Preplant Nitrogen Test for Adjusting Corn Nitrogen Recommendations
- MP733, Lawn and Garden Soil Test Interpretations and Fertilizer Recommendation Guide
- SB1001, Recommended Chemical Soil Test Procedures for the North Central Region
- WQ450, Precision Agriculture: An Introduction
- WQ451, Precision Agriculture: Yield Monitors
- WQ452, Precision Agriculture: Global Positioning System (GPS)
More from MU Extension